Film Production Support Program (SEKin)
Through the Program for the Development of Cyprus Cinema, the Deputy Ministry of Culture finances international co-productions, high and low budget feature films, short films, documentaries, animation, experimental films, as well as local distribution of Cypriot films in theatres.
The Department of Modern and Contemporary Culture supervises and presides over the Cyprus Cinema Advisory Committee. It is the advisory body which studies scripts and proposals submitted within the context of the Funding Programmes Regulation in Support of Film Production. The Decisions of the Committee are then ratified by the Deputy Minister Culture.
The Cyprus Cinema Advisory Committee was established on 9 March 1994, following a decision by the Council of Ministers (No. 40.698) and has the following mandate:
a) To study scripts and proposals and advise the Government on matters relating to the funding of film productions or co-productions, both for the Cypriot private sector as well as foreign productions. It follows-up on the various production stages and advise with their final approval.
b) To study Cyprus cinema in depth and submit proposals on the elaboration of legislation governing cinema affairs in Cyprus (production, promotion and distribution, etc.)
COMPOSITION OF THE COMMITTEE
The Cyprus Cinema Advisory Committee is comprised of:
- A representative of the Deputy Ministry of Culture (Chairman)
- A representative of the Ministry of Finance
- A representative of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry
- A representative of the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation,
- A representative of the Directors Guild of Cyprus,
- Four members nominated by the Council of Ministers on merit.